Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hair Dryers

As I come to work each morning, I stop on the landing between flights of stairs.  There is a huge vent there that blows out warm air.  I love the feeling.  Anyway this morning as I stopped and stood under it for a minute I couldn’t help but reflect  where I first loved to sit under a hair dryer.  It was over at my Aunt Dawn’s house.  This brought back a flood of memories, since it is her funeral tomorrow.  She was a beautician and Lynne and I used to go down in her shop, and if we weren’t playing jacks on the floor, we were sitting under the hair dryers reading.  To me that warm air equates with love, acceptance and fun. 

As the years passed, I didn’t go over as often, so I bought my own hair dryer and believe you me it held me in good stead.  I used it all through college to block out the noise so I could study or sleep.  Even after marriage, I hauled a hair dryer to Hawaii.  It got me through those tough sleepless nights when babies wouldn’t sleep.  In fact, I used to lay Susi beside me and she would sleep so soundly hearing the noise of the hair dryer.  Ta’ei would snuggle up close to me under the hair dryer until he was too big to fit, age 13, I think.
Many times as I would be lying under my dryer, Eti would knock on it to get me to come out.  I’m still not sure how he felt about it.  He's accepted it now, what choice did he have?  I’ve gone through numerous dryers, but I have one today in my closet and just a few weeks ago, when I wanted the feeling of love and acceptance, I crawled under that dryer and took a nap.  Who knew they could be used for so much more than just drying hair?

2 comments:

  1. As much as we make fun of your hair dryers, there's such a feeling of comfort and peace when we crawl under one or hear the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story. I never really understood the hair dryer thing until now. :) We did the same thing, except it was with quilts.

    ReplyDelete