Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Women




Mom in California, probably 1946.
Mom and I in Yellowstone, probably 1957.











Mom in front of the house, probably 1955.


I was thinking yesterday about the women who have had the biggest influence in my life, and of course, there are too many to talk about.  I would like to discuss a few.  As you would imagine my mother is at the top of the list.  As I was growing up,  the characteristic I most observed in my mother was her ability to work.  Even as I grew older and had my own children, my mother could work circles around me.  At least that’s what I thought, when I look back on it now, she did work circles around me, but I’m sure she was much more tired than she let me know.  

Which brings me to another characteristic, she never complained.  I watched my mother go through some of the most tragic experiences a woman could go through, the loss of two sons and then her husband, all quickly and unexpected.  She never complained but exhibited unwavering faith, which again, is another characteristic she exemplified.  I observed her as her heart was broken, but she handled it with dignity.

I never knew my mother not to attend church.  Even when my father was inactive, mom always went.  She served in numerous callings and always worked hard.  My mother took great pride in her children and her extended family.  She came from a family of nine girls and there was extreme closeness there.  Don’t get me wrong, they had their differences but in the end, love came through.  My mother taught me how to love and how to laugh.  She had a great sense of humor that was compounded by her knowledge.  She was smart, witty, and fun.  She adored my father and their love for each other is legendary in my little hometown of Springlake. 

Susi Lafaele
Tiva, Eti, Susi and Leafa, while Eti was on his mission.


Since I’m discussing mothers, I must comment on Eti’s mother, Susi.  I only  met her once, but I know what kind of woman she was because of the way her son is.  She was a strong willed and determined woman.  She, like my mother, had great faith.  Once she accepted the gospel, she never wavered.  She taught her son to be faithful and obedient. 

I will forever to be grateful to her for teaching him to clean and to iron and most especially how to take care of new born babies.  He is a whiz, and I’m sure it is a skill she taught him.  I know also that she was a hard worker.  This is a characteristic I have always admired in Eti and I believe that both his mother and father taught him this skill.  She too, had a sense of humor.  Eti tells me stories of her comedic acts and her notoriety in his village for her wit.  Again, a characteristic she transferred to Eti.  I hope that one day when I meet her, she will accept me and be pleased with the way I have treated her son. 


No comments:

Post a Comment