Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter




As I was thinking about the holiday today and how the Christian world celebrates Easter, I wondered if our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ would be pleased.  I remember when I was young, we always had a picnic lunch and went somewhere.  Most of the time, we would just hike up to the canal behind our house.  It was quite a hike through the fields, and through the fences, skipping over irrigation ditches, missing cow pies and cows.  Many times it was muddy, and we would come home a mess.  I remember Bruce and Kris coming out and going with me.  The canal was always dry and one time Bruce ran through it under a bridge that was probably 100 feet.  He soon came running back and the look on his face was frightening.  He said there was a man in there at the other end.  We raced home, and surprisingly mom and dad didn’t seem too concerned.  They figured it was probably a hobo who had stopped there for the night.  We lived in much safer times. 

I always remember Easter Saturday as a time for the Easter bunny and all the worldy stuff that we do.  As a child, I don’t remember Easter egg hunts, I remember getting a basket with candy, but mostly I remember family.  I guess that is what is truly important.  As my children came along, we always did our Eastering on Saturday.  There were never any egg hunts or baskets on Sunday.  Sunday was a time to reflect on what our Saviour has done for us.  I think about it now, and Easter is THE most sacred of holidays.  Jesus was born for this purpose. 

My heart is full of gratitude at what He has done for me.  I know that my life has not been perfect and for Him to take my sins upon Him is a gift and blessing that I can never repay.  I suppose all He asks of us is to love one another and keep His commandments.  On this beautiful spring morning, I hope to renew my vows to try and do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment