Friday, April 13, 2012

Smells



My student teacher, Trisha Haber, just stated that smell is the most powerful sense, and when we are writing it is the one of the most effective.  I started thinking about that and my thoughts immediately reflected on my childhood.  I can remember more days than not coming home from school, especially in winter and walking in the door.  As I entered the back porch, open the door, I would stop and smell.  The best smell in the world would waft through the room and hit my nose, baking bread.  Is there anything more wonderful?  To me, warm baking bread was a symbol of hard work and love. 

I would run into our den, and mom would be laying down resting, as she said “putting her feet up.”   There was usually a fire in the fireplace, and everything felt so cozy.  She would get up and cut me a piece of bread, and I would put butter and honey on it and devour it.  It was always so good.  I can see myself sitting at the kitchen table eating with honey dripping down my fingers.

I thought about what other smells evoke fond memories, and there are too many to mention, but I do love a rain storm, especially in the desert.  The smell of the rain hitting the earth is a form of renewal.  I love the smell of warm chocolate chip cookies baking.  I love the smell of pine trees and any of those wonderful smells that come with Christmas.  I guess most especially I would love the smell of clean children after a long hard day of work, then baths and clean hair.  Not only is that a wonderful smell but a wonderful feeling as well. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the smells in your house. They are among my favorite memories. But I can also relate to the smells of homemade bread, because Mom used to bake it too. And I agree that, it has got to be one of the all-time best smell in the world. But I also love the smell of rain and clean hair and skin. I'm so grateful for the wonderful gift of smell! They truly evoke powerful memories.

    ReplyDelete