Sunday, May 13, 2012

Memories


 Front Porch

LM Peery, Grandma Peery, Donna Ann Peery, Mom, Keith Peery, Dad, Me on Dad's lap

As we were driving home from Dave’s last night, I rolled down my window.  All of a sudden a flood of memories hit me.  It felt like summer in Springlake, and I had a longing for home that was so intense.  I let my mind wander and I could see myself as a little girl riding a bike that was much too big for me, around and around in the drive way.  Later I saw myself ride that same bike down to the Springlake Store where I could buy penny candy.  It was always fun to ride downhill by the lake and turn where the water ran out of the lake and down into the fields.  There were always large shade trees by the Deuel’s house that would give me a break from the heat.  I saw myself riding that bike down to the church in the evening where we would all meet and play red-light, green-light, until Rowena Knapp would come out and tell us it was time to go home.  Many times we could play flash light tag a little while longer.  We always had so much fun.

As I strolled down memory lane, in my mind with the soft warm breeze blowing through the window, I saw myself as a young teenage girl mowing the front lawn in hopes that some of the boys would come by and visit.  Usually one did.  I can see myself sitting on the front steps and talking.  I had many good talks there, sometimes with Mom, sometimes with Dad, but usually with friends.  I see myself lying on a blanket in the back reading a book.  Those books would take me to faraway places and show me the adventures that the characters would have.  On those hot summer nights, I can see myself walking down the road, as I would get to the top of the hill, and start down, I could feel the cool air from the lake and hear the frogs and crickets.  Many times I would lay in my bed, always with the windows open because we had no air conditioning and listen to the frogs and crickets.  To this day, the sound of a cricket reminds me of home.

As I continued on my walk down memory lane, I remember so many times in the summer going to change the water with Lee.  I remember the many rides we would take, whether up the canyon or just around town.  I always loved the lot summer air and the breeze in my face.  When I graduated from High School and left Springlake, really never to go back permanently, I can remember how excited I was to get away from home.  Now as I get older,  my yearnings for warmth and love that I equate with Springlake sweep over me and create such a feeling of melancholy I have to shake myself.  I realize my life is wonderful now, but I did have a memorable childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment